Following on my presentation today as part of National Family History Month and hosted by Caloundra Family History Research Inc, I’m listing some research options.
German Newspapers can be searched:
With more difficulty through Google Books (not newspapers):
My tips for searching can be reviewed in this blog post:
My Dorfprozelten blog:
The WWI service of the Dorfprozelten descendants
Sketches by Conrad Martens: Google search
Text Queensland https://www.textqueensland.com.au/
AncesTree: the journal of the Burwood and District Family History GroupArticles by Jenny Paterson about the German immigration ships. https://bdfhg.weebly.com/ances-tree-articles-by-date.html
They weren’t all Lutherans – A case study of a small group of German Catholics who emigrated to Australia from Dorfprozelten, Bavaria. Cass, P. Published in the Proceedings of the 11th Australasian Congress on Genealogy & Heraldry, Darwin, 2006 (try your local family history society for this book).
- Local histories – Australian area & in Germany
- Catholic church records – Australia & Germany. Try familysearch catalogue: https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog
- Cross-reference sources to confirm details.
- Email contact with other family historians who come from the same area.
- Photos and newspapers on Trove https://trove.nla.gov.au/
- War service information, including photos: awm.gov.au and www.naa.gov.au
- Genealogical, family history, and local history societies for indexes/references
- Kopittke indexes (online ordering from QFHS) https://www.qfhs.org.au/shop/shop-catalogue/society-publications/shipping-migration/
- Hamburg passenger lists 1850 -1934 https://www.ancestry.com/search/collections/1068/
- Catholic Archives or parishes in your area of interest
- Online grave searches eg Drayton and Toowoomba cemetery http://www.tr.qld.gov.au/facilities-recreation/cemeteries/deceased-search/burials
- Online mapping services
- Church histories (books or web)
- University libraries for studies and theses on your area of interest
Books on Dorfprozelten
Dorfprozelten Schüler, Schulmeister Schulhäuser 1600-1998. Veh, G, Benedict Press, 1998.
Dorfprozelten am Main, ein Dorf im Wandel, seiner 1000jähriger Geschichte. Arnold, W; Lang, Elsa; Veh, Georg; Weiss Josef; Zőller Eugen; Zőller Werner. Benedict Press, 1995.
Dorfprozelten am Main Teil II
Veh, G, Benedict Press, 2002.
Note: This book is held by the Genealogical Society of Queensland, along with a partial index.
Thank you to Caloundra for offering me the chance to speak on this topic, and to all those who joined in.
5 thoughts on “Tips for German research”
Thanks for the tips and links Pauleen. I’ll be checking them out for my own German ancestors and for a friend’s.
Thanks Kylie. Sometimes they work, sometimes not.
Thank you for your very informative zoom presentation on tips for German research hosted by the Caloundra Family History Group.
You’re welcome Lyn.